Billions of years ago, when the earth was cooling and a few tiny amoebae started their sexy little single-cell dance in a pool of water, Carnegie Mellon University Professor Jesse Schell talked about the future beyond Facebook games. Well, at least two years in Web time seems that long on the evolutionary timeline. Professor Schell is the creative mastermind behind Schell Games, and the guy is an absolute monster when he shares his thoughts on the future of gaming.
Posts filed under Gaming
There are a slew of things to take into account when adding or creating a game-like environment for your site or its content. I'm going to assume that I don't need to tell you that, before any of you determine your goals, you should do a deep competitive analysis and determine the mindset of your demographic prior to spending any real money in this direction. This topic is a bit more than 101 when it comes to the new-world marketer, as it's making rapid changes and not a lot of it has been truly tested...
Empire Avenue for social gamers and social media professionals is quickly becoming the rage. Empire Avenue or #EA as it's AKA, is by their definition "The Social Media Exchange - Empire Avenue is the Social Media Exchange, where you can invest in any social media profile by buying their shares, meet new people, unlock Achievement badges, and earn boatloads of virtual cash by being active and social online! Buy shares in your friends, your followers, people with similar interests, brands you love, celebrities – anyone!
Here's a few things that I learned from my recent trip to Vegas.
- Holy crap has everything gone downhill!
- The 'City Center' (and their casinos) are now the prime Jewel of the strip just edging out the Wynn & The Encore
- The casinos plan heavily for Chinese new year
- There are so many Cirque du Soleil shows they're no longer special
- There are two kinds of drinkers, those who cannot find a scantly clad waitress to serve them something for free and those with a plastic "yard" in the shape of a titty sucking down grain alcohol
- The closer you walk to Las Vegas BLVD. the closer you come to depravity and emotional doom
- Finest line from a pan-handler selling bottled water "the water is free ladies, it's just a one dollar handling fee"
- A new coat of paint does not equal a renovation
- All cab drivers should be put on suicide watch
- People don't know how to have fun anymore
- "Porn Slappers" (these are the people that slap escort service flyers at you on the strip as you walk by) do not clean up bygone marketing materials
- Smokers you are a dying breed even in Vegas
- You can get away with shooting cell phone pictures in the casino, but the same cannot be said for USING a cell phone while playing in a casino
- Less social media advocacy than I would have imagined from casinos
- Although more location-based services (LBS) offers than I would have thought
- There still are black-tie events that are not weddings
- There's nothing funnier than drunk women fighting their CFMP's trying to fall into an elevator
- Asian card dealers will take all your money
- Betting 'with the craps table' is still the best way to enjoy the game
- Penny slots are treated like the plague; while $1 slots are now treated as the default rate
- Vegas is still not family friendly
- There are far more coffee shops in casinos now
- People really do get up at 7AM to workout in the fitness center
- Don't even look at the mini-bar unless your Indiana Jones and you have a bag of sand
- The Excalibur, New York New York, The Flamingo, Circus Circus (anything Bally's) and the Stratosphere all need summoned back to Satan
- All the servers hate you
- Tip the cleaning staff and you'll win more mini shampoos than a slot machine on a progressive payout
- Don't quote "The Hangover" if you don't want pee in your drink
- Aria Hotel & Casino and Wynn's "Encore" are top-notch
- No, you'll never be able to afford that necklace
- Two words: "hand sanitizer"