Starting a podcast is fun, exciting and bit daunting at times as you wade through all the education on the “How To’s.” The not-so-fun part of it is the marketing portion as to how actually grow your audience base. Here’s a presentation I recently did on behalf of Magruder Laser Vision regarding both QueensCast.com and marketing your podcast in general.
Recently I was asked: What are some of the common mistakes that you see people who seek a career in any of these fields make as they pursue that career?
Some of the common mistakes that I've seen in my career are usually attention to detail(s). Proofreading a print advertisement, submitting an order amount wrong, or typos on presentation decks.
You will come to find that creative people share similar traits, this is a generalization to be sure, but there's a likelihood you'll find one if not more in most marketing professionals:
Many of us have ADHD, this is not figuratively speaking, a lot of us do. Diagnosed or not. Knowing this will allow you to coat the next following list:
The biggest shit-storm one can create is to have a vague, or non-existent, creative brief. Creatives are just that — CREATIVE. A creative brief should give, at least the initial idea, and some parameters to reign in their thought process initially. (e.g. If the client has a brand standards manual, fonts, specified voice or defined goal objective) During the creative process of the 'client-only' edition of the project, we more often than not, come up with a slew of new ways to shape the original concept.
We get distracted. Allow us to listen to music, background noise, or whatever allows us to get "in the zone." Busy agencies that create atmospheres of account executives (AEs) or related, consistently asking your creatives questions will delay the completion of a project and in many cases, the creative will suffer.
We're slow to do the jobs we HAVE to do and ATTACK the jobs we want to do. We often have pissing contests over who got what project.
We are terrible spellers (as I write this in Grammarly) – check our shit, again and again. Of course, it's important to remember that your creative IS NOT your proofing person.
On tasking: checklists will help. Daily huddles will help as well, as long as we hear what we want to hear and forget the rest (see jobs we HAVE to do above).
Most of us suck at math. Give us the sizes of the ad! Tasking us to research this is like throwing money away.
Remind us, again and again on the due dates. This is why daily huddles are beneficial.
What are your favorite truths about creatives?
1. SURVIVAL MARKETING IMPROVISE, ADAPT, AND OVERCOME 20 WAYS TO STAY ALIVE & THRIVE
2. BENCHMARK THEN NOW
3. TACTIC#1: GET THE GEAR Social Management Project Management Automate
4. TACTIC#2: LISTEN Google Alerts Google Trends Sentiment/Device/Audience
5. TACTIC#3: RESEARCH Spy Fu Email Conversion Campaign Analytics
6. TACTIC#4: EMAIL Build Compliant? Deploy Test
7. TACTIC#5: A/BTEST Subject Lines Post Timing Brand Image/Voice
8. TACTIC#6: DRILLTEAM SHTF/WWYD? Unite SOP Deploy
9. TACTIC#7: VILLIANIZE Topical Create/Answer Revisit
10. TACTIC#8: ACTION IS GO Audience Questions First Make Useful Content ASK-ASK-ASK
11. TACTIC#9: TRANSLATE Deﬁne Audience Campaign Segmentation Reﬁne to Location
12. TACTIC#10: HIJACK Topics Content Alignment Inspirational Quotes
13. TACTIC#11: MICROCONTENT Horoscopes Inspirational Quotes
14. TACTIC#12: OWNTHATSHIT Watermark Repost Link #Tag
15. TACTIC#13: GEOGRAPHY PAID: Media Earned
16. TACTIC#14: ALTERNATES Medium Multi-Author Submissions
17. TACTIC#15: STREAM Live / Recorded / ICYMI Distribute
18. TACTIC#16: INFILTRATE SEO Rich Content Cross-Pollenate Seek Backlinks Snippet Tags
19. TACTIC#17: REINFORCEMENTS Repurpose Version Control Content Redeploy Distribution v2
20. TACTIC#18: GRIFT Afﬁliate Programming Native Advertising Reviews SME
21. TACTIC#19: STRIKEFIRST Live events Programming Thought Leadership Revisit
22. TACTIC#20: SOP Rate Sheets Support Materials PrePrepped Content Logo/Brand Packs
23. TACTIC#21: CLONES CoScheduler Multi-Author Blogs Content Calendars Basecamp
24. TACTIC#22: TRANSMIT Vlogging? Meh. Casting! Podcasting Serialized Content
25. TACTIC#23: TRAIN Content Calendars Webinars Live Q&A Chat Forums
26. TACTIC#24: WALKIE-TALKIES Become A Guest Blogger Podcasts for Guest Hosting Rating & Review Sites
27. TACTIC#25: GOIN GROUGE Limited Programming Landing Pages Squeeze Pages
30. TACTIC#26: SPECIAL SKILLS UI/UX Mobile Only Layouts Apps?
31. TACTIC#27: REPLICATE Podcasting Players Social Channels Chat / Streams
32. TACTIC#28: FINDSHELTER Reddit Imgur Giphy Mastodon Alt. Properties
33. TACTIC#29: THINK TANK Thought Starters Assignment Desks
34. TACTIC#30: C.O.U.M. CREATE ONCE USE MANY PUBLISH: ARTICLE CONTENT
35. PUBLISH: ARTICLE CONTENT PUBLISH: A/V TRUNCATED ARTICLE
35. TACTIC#30: C.O.U.M.
37. TACTIC#31: THE“PDP” PRE, DURING & POST AKA: Before, During & After
38. TACTIC#32: IWILLCUTYOU 2: 00 1: 00 00: 30 00: 15
39. TACTIC#33: HUMAN REACTION Sex Love Greed Health Flattery Weight-loss Uncertainty Improvement Exclusivity Longevity Anger Doubt Fame Fear
40. JUSTICEMITCHELL.COM – but you’re already here :)
Please register to vote — nothing more, nothing less. Those of you who know me personally know where my desires for my country reside, that said, we cannot be silent. Now is the time to make your voice part of the process.